Thursday, October 14, 2010

October update

Well, it has been a while since we last wrote. Here is an update of what has happened in the last month. We moved out of our apartment in Guarapuava to CLM Entre Rios. We are on our second week of officially starting our ministry here. Here are some details of what life has been like for this last month.

Before moving into our house at CLM we had to do a little work. We had a dream list of what would be nice to do before moving into the house and before we started our ministry. The list included taking out a cement wall and a wood stove, laying tile, making a baseboard, changing out some light fixtures, painting, installing a sink, installing washing machine hookups, and putting up a new ceiling. Unfortunately, this is Brazil. We only had five days to work on our house before moving in because it was still occupied. I focused on tearing down the wall, and laying the tile. The first day I tore down the wall and took out the sink that was rotting and moved out the wood stove. It was a great day for progress and I was feeling confident. The second day went even better. Mike and I laid a room full of tile and I went home feeling less stressed over the work that we had to do. Unfortunately, as we were working, some of the kids were in the room walking on the tiles while they were setting up. The next day I found 30 tiles that needed to be replaced. So I finished cutting the outer tiles to lay that day while I pondered what to do. The 4th day I replaced all those tiles with Emma's help and laid the outer tiles that I had cut the day before. The fifth Mike and I installed the sink and the washing machine hookup and Emma grouted half of the floor. Then the next day we moved in.

The following week I had to paint the apartment in the city that we lived in because it was in the contract. So I spent two days painting it and then cleaning it. When we went to turn in the keys I found out the color I chose was a shade off (apparently I can't tell the difference between “pale” and “white” without Katie's help). We could either paint it again or pay them to paint it. Also the realtor automatically charges to have the apartment cleaned after us. We would have been better off not doing any thing and paid the fees then spending two long days of my time painting and cleaning, not to mention the cost of paint ($100). Katie and I started laughing the crazy “I think I'm going insane” type of laugh because we didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Then I looked at her and said, “TIB” (this is Brazil.)

I then replaced the light fixtures and Katie and Emma finished grouting the floor. After that we were burnt out and haven't done anything to the house. I don't know what I want to do next for the house, plus it is hard to find time in this type of ministry. I think I will wait until January when my parents come down and put them to work. The important thing is it isn't raining in the house...and the door locks. I guess I can't complain too much of the housing conditions here, some of the other missionaries that we met in Colorado in training were going to countries that were unfriendly to Christians or where they had to rough it in mosquito nets to protect them from malaria. Our biggest danger is being burnt in the sun, surviving car trips with dangerous traffic, or wondering if the kid sitting next to us washed their hands after going to the bathroom while we are all holding hands praying over lunch. Back to the house, it does get cold at night inside.

On October 4th I started a full time schedule here. I don't have many responsibilities yet with the farm but I am learning what goes on during the day with child care. One thing that I am trying to do is organize work for the boys to do in the afternoon. That is one area that has been lacking here because of lack missionaries. The boys we have here don't have a strong work ethic, and because of their grades, the chances of them going to college are slim. If they are to do well outside of CLM we need to teach them how to work, but also there is a wealth of opportunities with the farm to teach them skills that they wouldn't learn otherwise. Plus through working along side with the boys relationships develop and that is when discipleship happens.

One thing I am learning real quickly is the kids have issues with authority. I asked one of the kids to clean their room last week. He said no. He is 15 years old and doesn't like to listen to authority and it caught me by surprise. I didn't know what to do because he understood my Portuguese to clean his room, but he didn't want to. I thought maybe he needs to cool off a little so I picked him up to give him a swirly in their bathroom. Unfortunately because I couldn't hold him and pull the rope at the same time, and I didn't want to bang his head up against the porcelain I first flushed his foot, then his hand, then when it came time for his head, he had changed and became willing to clean his room. Even though I had won and he cleaned his room, I didn't address the heart issue. Monday when I went to ask them to clean their room, I spent a half an hour writing out in portuguese what to say to lead them to seeing what was in their hearts and why they have issues with authority. Unfortunately they cleaned their rooms without putting up a stink and had a good attitude about it. So I think I will keep that speech ready for another time when they won't obey authority.

Our friends from Tremont came in September. Some of you know Kevin, Elaine, Amanda, and Darren King. We are excited to see them here. It is funny that Entre Rios has the highest Tremont ratio outside of the United States.

Spiritually I am going through a refining time. I would be lying if I said that all is well here and I am adjusting well. I am struggling because I enjoyed driving equipment day to day for a job and what is familiar. We miss our families and friends. I miss going to church and understanding what is being said. Day to day I go through to enjoying being here to ready to leave. It is good having Kevin here because he has gone through this cultural adjusting process at Nepo. He has been reminding me to see things in God's perspective and been encouraging me through God's truth. Plus he is threating to break my legs if we threaten to leave. This is going to be one of the hardest things that we will do but at the same time God is refining us through it and drawing us closer to him. Please keep us in your prayers as the idols of my heart are being stripped away.

Well that is all I have for now. My son just pooped so I am going to give him a bath. Thank you for keeping us in your prayers.

Trusting in Christ

Andy for Katie and Joseph

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a "clencher" with that conclusion ;) Hope we can talk again soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...Andy, I just have to say, I am so very thankful to have you at my brother, I could not have picked a better man for my sister to marry! I am so grateful to hear how God is working in both you and katie's lives and I encourage you to persevere through the hard times because God does have a reason for this pain and suffering and in time He will reveal it to you.

    I will be praying for you and Katie! (and joe of course)

    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete