Friday, July 30, 2010

July 2010

Dear Supporters,

Sorry it has been a while since I last wrote. To get you up to speed on June 21st Joseph Andrew Roth was born. He arrived at around 5 pounds 14 ounces and measured around 181/2 inches. Since then he has gained about 3 pounds as of his last doctor appointment. We are still getting adjusted to him, the lack of whole sleep, and the crying. We know this will pass as he gets older.

Joseph is very healthy. He likes to stare at lights for entertainment. He has already started smiling at Katie but he is very reluctant to smile at me. We look forward to raising him and discipling him to know Christ, that is if we can maintain our sanity during this early stage. Christ is using Joseph to refine us.

Katie has finished her language studies at Wizard. She is very proficient at Portuguese. She was able to start at level 2 when we started and then was able to finish four days before Joseph came. God's timing is good. I still am working my way through level three. It is a constant struggle as it is very difficult for me to learn another language. Please keep me in your prayers in this area. Lord willing I will finish in two weeks which would be the first part of August. Then I will start taking the bus to CLM to start working on building up relationships with the kids. We will move there the weekend of August 21st.

We still don't know which house at CLM we will move into. There is a little bit of a crunch with the housing. We have to move out by August 25th, there is a house available but Kevin and Elaine could be coming down in that time frame, we don't know yet. Juan and Bethany are behind schedule on their house construction so they might not move out until the beginning of September. Worst case scenario we move to one place for three weeks or so then move to another. Moving is something that we have gotten use to.

Well recently Christ has been pricking our hearts in different ways. In Katie's life he has been show her how much she is enslaved to the fear of man. She is learning how that is an idol in her heart instead of trying to please God to glorify him. She is learning that instead of using people to get praise, she needs to love them and speak up about God's truth.

In my life, I have been struggling with learning the language. Some days after class I am very discouraged and want to quit. I am continually reminded that Christ called us here first an foremost to refine us more in his image. Regardless what I want I need to constantly remind myself that we are not met to go after the idols in our hearts, but to go after Christ's will for our lives. As I read God's word I am reminded the depravity of my sinful life and how much I am still in need of a savior.

We are thankful for this time in the city to get use to the culture, the language, and also being parents. We are excited to start ministering at CLM and building up relationships with the kids at the same time we are sad to move away from the friends we have made in Guarapuava. We are also anticipating Kathy and Emma (Katie's mom and sister) coming and meeting Joseph and helping take care of him during the transition. They arrive the 16th of August. Thank you for praying for us and supporting us in serving the Lord here in Brazil.

Trusting in Christ,

Andy Katie and Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment