Thursday, May 6, 2010

My web log

Hello people who read our blog. It has been awhile since I last posted something so I thought I would write today. First and foremost, Katie is doing well with her pregnancy. She is healthy, and the baby is healthy. We had our first and only ultrasound done and I could see the baby's face. It brought to mind Psalm 139 :14 “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it well.” I still don't know if our baby is a boy or girl but I already love that child, even though it is still born a sinner like his or her parents.

Well the last post I wrote was more light-hearted but this one is more serious. I would appreciate your prayer support. First of all I am a sinner and still struggle with issues of worry, discontentment, and spiritual idolatry. These are all sins in God's eyes that are just as bad as murder, gossip, lying, and adultery.

To start off I have been struggling with discontentment here in Brazil. I am not able to live the same lifestyle that I had in the U.S. I can't talk well so it is hard to have any deep conversations with other guys here. More importantly I am struggling with not being able to buy stuff freely. We lived comfortably in the U.S. I had a good job at F.S. that I enjoyed. In my heart I want to turn back and head home where it is easy and comfortable. I have to remind myself and hide this scripture in my heart and meditate on it. Philippians 2:5-8 “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.” I am reminding myself of this truth that even though we went from one culture to another, it is still not as humiliating as Christ coming from heaven and living on this earth as a human. He even died the most humiliating deaths. He is not asking us to do anything that he hasn't done.

This also applies to my discontentment. I think that if my situation was different than I would be happy. I am not content with where God has placed me. I am also having to hide Philippians 4 :11-13 in my heart. “Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” Paul wrote that and he was ship wrecked, imprisoned, beaten, stoned and left for dead, and that he battled a thorn in his flesh. If Christ can make him content in every situation than he can do the same for me.

I am also struggling with spiritual idolatry. I think that God isn't enough. Only changing my situation to live more at ease can make me happy. I am worshiping the god of pleasure and ease which isn't any better than the Israelites worshiping other gods instead of worshiping the one true God. Isaiah 44:9 “All who fashion idols are nothing, and the things they delight in do not profit. Their witnesses neither see nor know, that they may be put to shame.” Isaiah 44:20 “He [the one who worships idols] feeds on ashes; a deluded heart has lead him astray, and he can not deliver himself or say, “Is there not a lie in my right hand?”

To top it off I also am sinning by worrying about our family at CLM. I am worry about how to protect my relationship with my wife. I also want to raise our baby to know God and glorify Him. I don't want to neglect my wife and children to minister to neglected children. I know if I have to choose between ministry and my family, I have to choose my family according to God's word. 1 Timothy 3:1-13. This could send us off the mission field if I can't spiritually lead my family effectively. I am having to hide Philippians 4: 6-7 in my heart, and continue to give this over to the Lord.

I know this is real heavy stuff but please remember us in your prayers. It is neat how Jesus can redeem sinners like us, and use us while we still are sinners. Better yet, he continues to refine us to grow and become more like Him. Thank you Jesus!

Trusting in Christ

Andy and Katie

2 comments:

  1. Andy,
    Thanks for your honesty. It takes guts to be able to lay yourself out there like that! Luke & I will definitely continue praying for you, Katie, and Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy & Katie,

    You are in my prayers. There’s no question that when we aim to live out the Lord’s calling we have an enemy who wants to bring us down. He uses a number of strategies. That’s why Paul tells us that it is the spiritual armor of God that can enable us to stand our ground when the devil launches his assaults. He repeats the idea of standing our ground several times in Ephesians 6:10ff. I’ve found great help personally in putting on the armor as I pray, being aware of which evil strategy each piece of the armor helps me overcome. Here’s what I mean: With the belt of truth buckled around me, I’m able to withstand the devil’s assaults of deception and confusion. With the breastplate of righteousness in place, I’m able to stand against the devil’s strategic temptations to what is not righteous. With the shield of faith, I’m defended from Satan’s assaults of doubt and fear. With the helmet of salvation, the devil’s assaults with accusations and condemnation are not able to bring me down. You get the picture. I will pray that you, being clothed in God’s armor, will indeed find joy in the victory He gives with each new day. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete